Friday, June 13, 2008

Big Dan and Big Russ....

Today's news of the sudden death of Tim Russert caught millions of people off guard.  I've spent most the evening watching the news.  Laughing along with stories and crying with the devastation of someone who died far too young.  

As someone who isn't afraid to share her opinion on what I think, what I believe and who I plan on voting or not voting for in November I looked forward to a good debate on Meet the Press every so often.  I watched Tim Russert because he was one of us.  He truly admired politics but adored the power of the American people.  I don't know of any other journalist in my time that really made me feel as though he wanted the best for Americans.  He wanted the issues addressed and every question answered.  No one else could ask a question so distinctly and so passionately as Tim Russert.  He did it for the American people, never for his career.  He was one of us.  He was honest and a true American.  

Besides an amazing journalist Tim Russert embodied Buffalo.  I've heard his Buffalo roots mentioned over and over again tonight.  He loved this town.  He believed in it and most of all he was proud of it.  I don't expect everyone who lives in Buffalo to stay in Buffalo.  I expect people who leave to realize that the people, the history and the working class sensibility are things you will never find anywhere else.  He knew this and everyone who remembers him does too.  

My mom had just finished reading his book Big Russ and Me, literally today while on vacation down south.  The book highlighted the truly touching relationship with his father.  Which is why this day is so much more personal for me.  

Today, my dad lost his job.  He's known as "Big Dan" to everyone he worked with.  It's fair to say that I'm only where I am now because of my blue-collar upbringing.  Somewhat like Russerts background.  I've seen my dad work 12 hours a day to be home every weekend to spend every minute with his girls.  I've seen his determination to work hard to give my sisters and I a good quality of life.  

In watching all the news today about how Tim was so proud of his upbringing has put into perspective my life with my dad.  I only have one role model and that's my dad. I just hope that I've made him proud so far.  

The Russert family is in my prayers and I pray for Big Russ and that this Father's Day he can realize how he raised one hell of a Irish Catholic kid from South Buffalo. 

Go Bills!  

No comments: