Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No. Job hunting is in fact NOT humbling...

Before I begin I'd like to preface this by saying, yes I quit my job on my own ability because #1 I was desperately not happy in what I was doing, #2 My fiance and the man I plan on bearing and rearing his children (oh and be a great wife to, too) with was offered a job in this god-forsaken, jesus-loving city we call Greenville.  I'd also like to say that, look, I know the economy is in the shitter and this country has not be more afraid to barely walk outside and enjoy the day.  Look I get it.  I'm not the only one....blah blah f'in blah.  I'll remind you my father a truck driver (you remember those...that form of transpiration that makes sure you get food on that Pottery Barn table of yours, ya that) of 30 years was also laid off...count 'em TWICE in one year.  So really don't go spouting your Obama loving economic stimulus package BS to me because quite frankly, I could give a rat's behind.  

And so we begin...

I'm a fan of change and contrary to popular belief but I embrace it.  Having about 10 jobs in the last 10 years (internships, part time and full time)  will tell you I like change and, well,  bring it on!  Nothing is ever really good enough for me.  I just know that my past employment I've sat in a chair and thought to myself how I could make it better, and so I did.  

Going into this whole moving south thing was not something I was a fan of, some of you may know my reservations.  But I did it.  Yes, I did.  While we're not dying of hunger down here by any means let me tell you a little something about not having a place to work or set employment.  You forget who you are.  And yet, you would also think at this time, why not take time for myself to really find out who I AM.  Hahahahahahaha...hold on a second...hahahahahahahaha.  You think its that easy,huh?  Well then your not me, so quit reading.  

Yes folks, don't lie to yourselves, you cannot honestly tell me that if you did not have the job you have or A job for that matter, you'd really know who you are.  


Let's take for example a networking event.  First thing people ask "What company are you with?" That's not humbling.  In fact saying that you are a consultant and self-employed is not really as cool as you would think it is when it comes out of your mouth.   

First of all, being a marketing and PR guru that I am, yes I am.  I have seen a lot of posers. Lots of jobs out there that claim to be PR and marketing jobs, when in fact they are dressing up as lady Liberty and waving as cars go by for Liberty Tax Refunds.  It's ridiculous.  Another reason I think Monster and Career Builder are pretty much a complete waste of time.  

Another thing about the job hunt, unlike other things in life, i.e. a death, a baby, a wedding...no one is really there to comfort you.  Nope, no one.  God bless the big mans, he tries, he does.  Instead I get a lot of "Well you are not the only one going through this"....no in fact I am.  I am in the 14 percentile of people with a master's degree (such as mine) in the industry. And I in fact know a thing or two about social media and the way it's taking the PR and marketing industry.  A lot of these old fogies (yes my elder generations) quite frankly, do not and don't give a s**t about it either.   And yet, they get hired?  FUNNY!  

You have no idea how many networking events or agencies that have no clue what this society is really going through in order to make changes.  No one embraces social media.  No one gets it.  I can't wait for 10 years when they are far behind the times...I just wish those 10 years would fly by.  

See none of this, none of these networking events and meeting new people in the area or having interviews and not getting the job has really humbled me.  And you know what?  It never really will.  I don't get humbled when it comes to my career.  Sorry.  




No comments: