Thursday, March 20, 2008

When I really wanted to believe.....

So last night was the first Sabres game I had been to in awhile. Mind you I never was a hardcore fan. In fact I cannot bring myself to watch Buffalo sports team, for the exception of the Bisions and Bandits, because let's be honest, when have they totally let you down or made you the laughing stock of the sports world? I rest my case.

So while I enjoyed my first of three Blue Light's last night, gossiped and chatted the night away with my partner in crime Melissa, I couldn't bare to keep watching what was supposed to be a National Hockey League game. That was until....the third period.

Goal after goal, the crowd got louder, people actually went back to their seats and I decided I'm finally watching a hockey game. A win....from behind, 7-4. I'm lucky, I'm always there for great games like that. It felt good and a small part of me wanted to be believe.

However......eh-hem, it's Buffalo.

And I ask you....when does it end? The aniexty? The disappointment? The ups and downs of professional sports in Buffalo, NY. I love this town, I love that we are obsessed with hockey fights and tailgating BUT I cannot spare myself to take in another disappointing season. Yes folks, I've officially given up.

Mind you, I'll always be a fan, I will never root for any other team but the Bills and Sabres....however, spare me the disappointment and let downs. I want a damn championship, I want a come from behind, knock-down upset and slap in the fact to the entire sports industry. Please? pretty please?

I blame my dad. Contrary to popular belief...yes he did love me enough, so no it's not that kind of blog. But after the fourth straight? yes STRAIGHT Super Bowl loss by the Buffalo Bills he has never watched a game since. The man had season tickets to War Memorial Staidum for years, he brought me to my first Bills game, he lived and breathed football for most of my childhood, and the only time I saw him cry EVER was when Jim Kelly retired. He decided then and there he never could put his whole heart into another sports team, for what? Stolen victories and stolen dreams.

Grown men (and women) who live here, moved away from here and grown up knowing nothing but the greatest sports comeback in history and the French Connection deserve a championship. I hope to see one before I die as well.

No comments: