Friday, January 9, 2009

Who loves a public library? I DO! I DO!

When I was a kid one of the things I loved to do most was to go to the library.  My mom would takes us a few times a month if not once a week, especially when she was in nursing school.  I loved going.  It was like some kind of high for me.  Walking into the front doors and the smell of old books, the plastic that covers those old books and moth balls.  Don't lie, you know your library smelled a bit like moth balls. 

Anyways I remember what I did everytime I went to the library, dropped off our old library books...usually pay a fine because my sisters and I were NEVER good about bringing books back in time...grab a drink of water at the water fountain.  Why? I don't know it was some big kid thing I like to do at the time.  The water was always freezing and refreshing, like good kool-aid. 

So one of the first things I did when I moved here is to get a library card.  Ok well Kyle got one and I'm just using it.  Once I have my SC license I can get one too.  But ANYWAYS...it felt like Christmas.  One thing I lost while being away in college, working full time and so on was reading a good book.  I always loved walking around Barnes & Noble for hours and I have bought hundreds of books.  When I could be saving tons of money by reading FREE books!  Duh?  Free books?  It's my way of saving money and riding through this recession.  

So my point is I think its just one small step of slowing down a bit while I'm in the south and remember things that made me happy in my past.  And who doesn't like to save money?  

No comments: